Tuesday, December 25, 2012

I send Love's name into the world with wings

From the NASA Space Advent Calendar which is HERE.

 A pair of one-half light-year long interstellar 'twisters' -- eerie funnels and twisted-rope structures - in the heart of the Lagoon Nebula (M8) which lies 5,000 light-years away in the direction of the constellation Sagittarius.
(A. Caulet ST-ECF, ESA, and NASA)

 [I have to admit that I am stumped by this one.  The colors of the photo are most obvious to me,  
joyous and celebratory like Xmas lights.  
After mulling over it all day, this is the Merton poem I settled on.  
But I'm still not sure if it's the right one ... ] 

When psalms surprise me with their music 
And antiphons turn to rum 
The Spirit sings: the bottom drops out of my soul

And from the center of my cellar, Love, 
     louder than thunder  
Opens a heaven of naked air.  

I send Love's name into the world with wings
And songs grow up around me like a jungle.

Choirs of all creatures sing the tunes 
Your Spirit played in Eden.  

Zebras and antelopes and birds of paradise 
Shine on the face of the abyss 
And I am drunk with the great wilderness Of the sixth day in Genesis.  
 - Thomas Merton, "Psalm", Collected Poems, pp. 220-221
Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You think so? I'm still not so happy with this one. Here is another possibility:

      Oh, listen to that darkness, listen to that deep darkness,
      Listen to those seas of darkness on whose shores we stand and die.
      Now can we have you, peace, now can we sleep in Your will, sweet God of peace?
      Now can we have Your Word and in Him rest?
      - Thomas Merton, Collected Poems, 172

      Delete

Palm Sunday

  Image: "The Mystical Boat", by Odilon Redon On Palm Sunday we reach the quayside.  A great ship is fretting at the moorings, sai...